Sunday, June 30, 2013

Earth, Air, Fire & Water – The Elemental Presence

In a recent conversation with my friends at the Witches Gathering (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Witches-Gathering) Sirena, bought up a topic that inspired me to write this Blog, Thanks Sirena.
The sacred elements are at the very centre of our spiritual practice; they rule, guide, inspire and at times scare and infuriate us. As practitioners of the craft we are constantly interacting with these elements, working with them in some way, incorporating them into ritual or spell craft, invoking their presence within a cast circle, honouring them in some honest and humble way so that they are present to aid our magickal workings. Alchemically speaking for life to exist so to must the four elements, they are the sacred building blocks of life.

ImageHence, it stands to reason that the power of elements doesn’t just end when the spell is done and the circle closed. Aside from ritual work we as human beings work within a fundamentally elemental realm whether we acknowledge this or not. That pull one feels to a particular element is in actual fact, your Expression Element and that element which you find homely comfort in is your Cardinal Element. And like astrology you also have a Mutable Element, an element that is fleeting and you are at constant odds with, that can change to both inspire and terrify you. And then of course there is the Transient Element, this is the element that can cause coincidence and idiosyncrasies within your life or bring about moments of enlightenment.
Take me for instance (just a few very brief examples)
My Cardinal element is Earth as I am a fixed earth sign and am able to truly relate to the attributes of both my sun sign and its fixed quality. I love my garden and my home, I like surrounding myself with beautiful material possessions made of wood and metal or those of a more feminine nature such as perfume and jewellery. I love trees and have been known to drive distances to see some of my absolute favourites and I prefer mountains to ocean views.

Image
My Element of Expression is Fire; I am a fire dancer and candle and incense maker. I work well with fire and have a deep respect for its power. Furthermore I can get extremely passionate about those things that matter to me the most and I am known for possessing a volcanic temper (it’s the Latin temperament). I will also go crazy if I don’t have some sort of a creative outlet.

Image
My Mutable Element is without a doubt water. I feel uneasy when surrounded by water. I find the ocean both alluring and terrifying all at the same time and while I can swim very well, I rarely do which seems odd to some as I live in a very hot and humid part of Australia. And then there are times when I’m inexplicably drawn to rivers, creeks and waterfalls. Or those times when I feel the need run out and feel the rain on my face. It’s a very push and pull sort of relationship I have with water, Ironic really as I married a water sign.

Image
This leaves my Transient Element to be Air. This too I am certain of, I feel that for the most part I seldom have moments of Clarity (this of course could be that I am currently 35 weeks pregnant) and when I do I’m not surprised to see that it’s usually during a Gemini or air moon. As a student and academically speaking, I do some of my best work under a Gemini moon and my marks clearly reflect this. On a natural level, when I experience a really windy day here at home, I need only step outside for a minute and I feel immediately awake, it’s like the wind stirs something that would otherwise lay dormant inside of me.

Examining the effects of the elements within our lives can present us with great clarity. It can help us to stop and examine out strengths and our weaknesses so that we can function more harmoniously within our everyday lives instead of feeling as though we are constantly fighting against the current.

Blessings✬

No comments:

Post a Comment